Reporting Options

Considering Your Options

At SHARE, we aim to help you make the choices that are best for you. Our staff can provide you with information about reporting options and are fully supportive of any decision you may make, including the decision not to report. Like so many other aspects of healing, there is no one right answer.  

If you do choose to make a report, you have a few different options. These options are not mutually exclusive and, depending upon your own goals and concerns, you may choose to take one or more of these forms of action. SHARE will help facilitate any action you wish to take; we can schedule and attend meetings, research specific questions, and generally support you through the process.

On this page you fill find an overview of your reporting options, a brief discription of each, as well as a note regarding confidentiality.

Overview of Reporting Options:

SHARE can help you explore and weigh your options, but the final decision is yours.

Title IX Coordinators

Yale College, the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences, and the professional schools have each designated a senior administrator or faculty member as Deputy Title IX Coordinator. Additionally, Valarie Stanley, director of the University’s Office of Institutional Equity and Access, serves as the University’s Senior Deputy Title IX coordinator for employees (including both staff members and faculty).  The Title IX Coordinator within your school or unit may be best able to help you, however, you may contact any of the Title IX Coordinators. All coordinators report to University Title IX Coordinator Stephanie Spangler.  Coordinator responsibilities include:

  • Tracking and monitoring incidents, including sex discrimination and sexual misconduct
  • Providing accommodations and other supportive measures to those dealing with sexual misconduct experiences 
  • Ensuring that the University responds effectively to each complaint; and
  • Where appropriate, conducting investigations of particular situations.

Given their mandate to track campus sexual misconduct, the Title IX Coordinators must be well informed of all reported or suspected incidents. Most university employees who work with students—including deans, heads of college, police, frocoss, and communication and consent educators—need to report any knowledge they have of sexual misconduct to Title IX.  The Coordinators always keep any reports made to them as confidential as possible and do all they can to respect the wishes of the complainant in any actions taken. However, if the Coordinators believe the reported behavior constitutes a significant threat to community safety, they may be required to take additional action.  Even in those very rare circumstances, the complainant’s victim’s preferences (including a desire for anonymity) will influence the response.

SHARE services are strictly confidential, as are those of clergy or health care providers; you can also call SHARE anonymously.  SHARE does not provide information or reports to the Title IX Coordinators. 

For more information about the Title IX Coordinators, click here.

University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct

The University-Wide Committee on Sexual Misconduct (UWC) is designed to address allegations of sexual misconduct and is available to students, faculty and staff across the University according to the guidelines described in the Committee’s Procedures. SHARE can help set up and accompany you to  a meeting with the UWCor you can contact the UWC directly if you prefer. The Chair (Mark Solomon), and the Secretary (Aley Menon) and Associate Secretary (Anita Sharif-Hyder) are available for exploratory conversations about the process . You can send an email to any UWC member, or call their administrative line, to initiate a conversation.

The UWC procedures are somewhat technical, but they can be worth reading to get a better sense of how the committee operates. Of course, SHARE and/or UWC staff would be happy to give you those details in person or by phone too, and to answer any questions.

Yale Police Department

SHARE works closely with the Yale Police Department, particularly with the Sensitive Crimes and Support Coordinator who is dedicated to assisting with and investigating cases of sexual violence, harassment, assault, violence against women, and other crimes of sexual misconduct, including stalking, intimate partner violence, and workplace violence. The Yale Police Department is staffed with officers who have extensive training on crimes involving sexual misconduct. They are fully sworn police officers; everyone from the dispatchers and investigators to the Chief has received substantive training on investigating crimes of sexual and gendered violence. The YPD detectives want to hear from you; speaking with the YPD does not mean you are required to file any kind of complaint or report.  People wanting to file a police report often work with SHARE to do so. SHARE can set up the initial meeting with investigators and can accompany you through the process. You can also contact the YPD directly at 203-432-4400. In rare instances, the New Haven Police will have jurisdiction; the YPD will still remain a resource and will manage an effective transfer of the case.

You can talk to the police in an exploratory fashion, without being committed to pressing charges.


Many people worry about confidentiality—if they come forward with a report, who will find out? The answer depends upon the kind of report made, mostly.

If you bring a report to a Title IX Coordinator or file a formal complaint through the UWC, no-one outside the process will be told without your explicit permission (no department chairs, classmates, media, etc.; parents would only be told in an emergency situation). Within the process, people often worry most about the “respondent” – the person against whom the report has been filed. Do they need to know who filed it?  If you want to file a formal complaint (the kind most likely to result in disciplinary action), you do need to have your name on record; your name and your written complaint will be shared with the respondent. Reports brought to a Title IX Coordinator can proceed without your name, although that will significantly limit the scope of possible resolutions. In either case, these proceedings are confidential—not to be discussed except with a formal advisor, lawyer, or family member. All parties involved in a complaint process are informed   that there are penalties against retaliation, which the University strictly enforces.

The confidentiality of a police report shifts over time. Once a case is closed, it becomes a matter of public record. This does not mean it is widely released, but it can be requested and will be made available. It is the practice, though, to redact (black out) the names of victims, along with any other identifying information. So while it is not “confidential,” your name would not be public, either. 

Please review the chart below for more information about how different resources will respond if you contact them.